Severe storms can cause flooding to homes and streets and landslides in certain areas. Clear out storm drains before a storm. Avoid lower elevation streets, drainage channels, and other areas that may flood. Check on friends and family who may need assistance during the storm, especially elderly, homebound, or neighbors with disabilities.
- Prepare for storms by clearing storm water basins, using sandbags, and your finding flash lights and extra batteries.
- San Francisco Public Works provide up 10 free sandbags leading up to and during severe rainstorms. Sandbags are distributed Monday-Saturday, 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. at the Public Work Operations Yard (Marin Street/Kansas Street Gate). Bring proof of address. Sandbags are also sold at many local hardware and home improvement stores.
- If the power goes out, unplug and turnoff appliances. Leave one light on to signal when power is restored.
- If you home/office is prone to flooding, and time permits, move valuable possessions to the upper floors of your home.
- Avoid walking through standing water, even ankle deep.
- Do not drive into flooded areas. If floodwaters rise around your car, abandon the car and move to higher ground if you can do so safely.
- Stay clear of water that is in contact with downed power lines.
- Sign up fro AlertSF by testing your Zip Code to 888-777.
- Call 311 for non-life threatening storm issues. Call 911 for emergencies.