Severe storms can cause flooding to homes and streets and landslides in certain areas. Clear out storm drains before a storm. Avoid lower elevation streets, drainage channels, and other areas that may flood.
- Prepare for storms by clearing storm water basins, using sandbags, and your finding flash lights and extra batteries. Pick up sandbags from SF Department of Public Works or a local hardware store.
- If you home/office is prone to flooding, and time permits, move valuable possessions to the upper floors of your home.
- Avoid walking through standing water, even ankle deep.
- Do not drive into flooded areas. If floodwaters rise around your car, abandon the car and move to higher ground if you can do so safely.
- Stay clear of water that is in contact with downed power lines.